It's Member Spotlight time! This month's Member Spotlight is Phil and Susie Austin from the UK. For Susie, Bokksu is a reminder of her childhood in Japan, and for Phil it's a way to explore more. Read what they have to say about their Bokksu experience:
1. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
Susie: I grew up in Japan with the snacks so it is sentimental value.
Phil: I discovered Pocky and Japanese Kit Kat online and then discovered more when I went to Japan for two visits.
2. How did you first hear about bokksu?
We saw the advert on Facebook and were intrigued enough to give it a try!
3. What made you decide to take the plunge and join?
The snacks and tea combination looked so much better than in other snack boxes. And irresistible!
4. Are you the kind of person who eats your box in one go, or do you take your time throughout the month?
Susie: I get a tasting box which I finish quite quickly.
Phil: I get a classic box and takes a bit longer.
5. What was your favorite snack or theme from our past boxes?
We like all of them, but as a theme the Moon Festival box was a firm favourite with both of us
6. Do you have a favorite thing about Bokksu? If so, what is it?
The quality of the snacks and teas. And the accompanying information is good too. A great service overall
7. Do you ever share your Bokksu? With who? (if not, we don’t blame you!)
We share with each other, and our little two year old boy, who loves the crackers especially. We have gifted a box to our pastor's wife at church who loved it!
8. Do you guys ever fight over snacks, or do you have different tastes?
Phil: No fighting, I have a sweeter tooth than Susie so we are able to share easily. Plus we get two boxes, which makes things even easier!
9. What is a future theme you’d like to see us do?
Regional tourist themes would be good, or a Japanese folk tale theme. But most themes we could think of are covered well already
10. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future box?
More anpan, taiyaki and mochi variations. Maybe a very occasional soft drink to vary the tea.
11. What’s your favorite Japanese snack or food? (doesn’t need to be a Bokksu snack)
Phil: dorayaki, Pocky
12. Have you ever been to Japan? If yes, what was the highlight of your trip?
Susie: We have both been. I like the food culture, travelling around and visiting all the tourist sites.
Phil: Obviously Susie has been more than me. I like Japanese puroresu (pro wrestling), and was able to go to a couple of live events in Tokyo. I was able to meet a wrestler named Atsushi Aoki, who I had gotten to know during Aoki's excursion to the UK as a young wrestler, and to introduce my wife to my friend. This would be the last chance to see my friend as, shortly after Aoki won the Junior Heavyweight title, he was killed in a motorcycle accident, which made national news in Japan. This made our chance meeting in Japan all the more special. Tokyo was exciting, but Hakone was beautiful and we had a nice view of Mt Fuji. The food was wonderful, although I nearly choked on Japanese mochi!
Thank you to Phil and Susie for being this month's Member Spotlight! I hope you continue to enjoy Bokksu for many months to come!
Comments will be approved before showing up.