January '20: Jessy Thomas from Minnesota
Jessy Thomas from Minnesota
It's Member Spotlight time! This month's Member Spotlight is Jessy Thomas from Minnesota. A long-time lover of Japanese cuisine, Jessy doesn't have any plans to visit Japan at the moment, so we're happy we can bring a unique taste of it straight to her! Read what she has to say about her Bokksu experience:
1. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
In high school I became good friends with the Japanese exchange student. She would bring different snacks to share like seaweed and shrimp senbei. The flavors were so different from what I was used to that I've always wanted to try more.
2. How did you first hear about Bokksu?
A Facebook ad. Probably the first and only FB ad I've ever clicked on but I'm glad I did.
3. What made you decide to take the plunge and join?
I looked at a few other snack boxes and Bokksu seemed to have the highest quality. There was a real sense of respect for the culture and thought put into the curation of the snacks.
4. Are you the kind of person who eats your box in one go, or do you take your time throughout the month?
I try to make it last as long as possible. Usually about two weeks.
5. What was your favorite snack or theme from our past boxes?
The hand-made hard candies. The different flavors are unique, and learning about the company that made them was really interesting.
6. Do you have a favorite thing about Bokksu? If so, what is it?
The snacks are so carefully curated. You can tell that a lot of thought goes into each box.
7. Do you ever share your Bokksu? With who? (if not, we don’t blame you!)
Mostly I keep it all to myself, but my mom really likes the mochi puffs so I share those with her.
8. What is a future theme you’d like to see us do?
I'm curious about more everyday foods, like Japanese home cooking, and what flavors and snacks might be inspired by those.
9. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future box?
Different kinds of bread. The yeast bread in the Hokkaido box was a nice surprise and really tasty.
10. What’s your favorite Japanese snack or food? (doesn’t need to be a Bokksu snack)
Fried potato cakes with sticky sauce made of brown sugar and soy sauce. I make these all the time at home.
11. Have you ever been to Japan? If yes, what was the highlight of your trip?
I can't make long flights so I've never been, but I enjoy experiencing the culture from a distance. Especially the food!
Thank you so much, Jessy for being this month's Member Spotlight! I hope you continue to enjoy Bokksu for many months to come!