Shayleen Daley from Nebraska
It's Member Spotlight time! This month's Member Spotlight is Shayleen Daley from Nebraska. Shayleen's been snacking with us since 2016, and even though her all-time favorite snack is from her first Bokksu ever, she's still excited every time her next Bokksu arrives. Read what she has to say about her Bokksu experience:
1. How do you feel about being selected as our Bokksu Member Spotlight?
Extremely honored, and a little flabbergasted. I thought it might be a prank email at first to be perfectly honest. I'm a huge fan of bokksu though so being able to share my love for it is exciting.
2. What do you find most exciting about Japanese snacks?
I love the thought that is put into creating a flavor profile that fits with the seasons, but also including a wide variety for each season. It keeps things interesting, and it always seems to be the perfect pairing for whatever weather is currently going on.
3. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
The unique flavors and textures. I also love that many of the snacks are sweet without being too strong. It's always well balanced.
4. What was your favorite snack and/or favorite theme in our past boxes?
My favorite snack came in the July '16 夏バテ (natsubate) crate, the 水ようかん (mizu yokan). I remember how refreshing it tasted with the humid summer weather, and how sad I was once it was finished. I definitely savored every bite of that.
5. On average, how long does your Bokksu last before you finish the whole box?
Generally it lasts me about 2 weeks, up to 3 if I'm really careful. It's hard not to eat it all quickly since it always has the perfect snack to go with my daily tea.
6. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future Bokksu?
That's a difficult question to answer. I think I'd like to see something with a persimmon flavor since I can't recall having tried that before, or a traditional wagashi treat.
7. What is a future theme you would like to see Bokksu do?
A winter festival theme would be lovely!
8. How would you describe the feeling you get when you’re about to open your Bokksu?
In a word, joy. In several words, seeing that my bokksu has been delivered makes every day, no matter how rough, feel like a great day.
9. What do you love most about Fall?
The cooler temperature that lets me enjoy being outside and taking long walks in the woods.
10. What is one Japanese food you just can’t get enough of (doesn’t have to be a Bokksu snack)?
Anything green tea flavored is perfect to me, but disregarding flavor I'd have to say mochi is my favorite. It just has so many ways to enjoy it.