June 2019: Dan Winkler and Lana Nesterenko from Colorado
Dan Winkler and Lana Nesterenko from Colorado
It's Member Spotlight time! This month's Member Spotlight is Dan Winkler and his wife Lana Nesterenko from Colorado. They took their first trip to Japan in May 2018 and are eagerly planning their next trip. Until then, Bokksu is here for them! Read what they have to say about their Bokksu experience:
1. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
They taste great and they make us happy when we eat them! We were exposed to them when we traveled to Japan in May 2018. The flavors are subtle, not ever overwhelming, and they're full of tastes that aren't common in the snacks here in the U.S.
2. How did you first hear about bokksu?
After we returned from Japan we wanted to see if we could get Japanese snacks here, so we searched for "Japanese snacks", and Bokksu was one of the first (and best reviewed) results.
3. What made you decide to take the plunge and join?
We loved the idea of getting Japanese snacks every month and being able to feel that we were connected with Japan somehow.
4. Are you the kind of people who eat your box in one go, or do you take your time throughout the month?
We try to take our time, but the box hardly ever lasts a full month. We try to ration the snacks so they last at least 3 weeks.
5. What was your favorite snack or theme from our past boxes?
Lana: Matcha Chocolate Coated Pecans; Amaou Strawberry Kirara Sandwich CookieDan: Onigiri Senbei: Okonomiyaki Sauce; all the cheesy snacks (Seaweed Tempura: Blue Cheese Flavor, Funwari Meijin Mochi Puffs: Hokkaido Cheese)
6. Do you have a favorite thing about Bokksu? If so, what is it?
Appreciate the obvious care and attention that goes into selecting and packaging each box. We love opening it, reading the details about where each snack is from, and getting a chance to reminisce about our time there. Getting a Bokksu box is like enjoying a mini holiday 12 months a year.
7. Do you ever share your Bokksu? With who? (if not, we don’t blame you!)
Besides sharing with each other, we sometimes share with co-workers (but rarely).
8. Do you guys ever fight over snacks, or do you have different tastes?
We don't usually fight because we tend to have different tastes, and each box usually has a nice variety.
9. What is a future theme you’d like to see us do?
Hmm...sushi theme? Fish themed? Street food? Seaweed?
10. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future box?
More mochi with different flavors.
11. What’s your favorite Japanese snack or food? (doesn’t need to be a Bokksu snack)
12. Have you ever been to Japan? If yes, what was the highlight of your trip?
Yes, we spent two great weeks there in May 2018. Highlights were staying at a ryokan in Hakone and enjoying several kaiseki meals. We also loved most of Kyoto, and were fascinated by how busy, but absolutely structured, everything was in Tokyo. The people were lovely, and we're already planning a return trip in fall 2020 (post Olympics).
Thank you both for being this month's Member Spotlight! I hope you both have an amazing trip next year!