Tale of Genji Rice Craker Gift Box (12 Packs)
This gift box contains packs of eight specific senbei (Japanese rice crackers) for a unique assortment of flavors, textures, and shapes.
Each senbei and box's wrapping depicts the world of the Tale of Genji, a classic work of Japanese literature, expressing the eternal flow of the Uji River in Kyoto, the fate of nobility, and the fragility of sakura (cherry blossoms) and momiji (maple leaves).
Each Senbei Bag Includes:
- Sakura: The dough is kneaded with shrimp for a rich flavor and baked in the shape of cherry blossoms that fall on the Uji River.
- Momiji: Kneaded with fragrant aosa nori (seaweed) and flavored with sweet soy sauce, this senbei is baked in the shape of momiji (autumn leaves).
- Genji Kounoin: This crisp egg rice cracker is accented with a hint of sweetness. The symbol of the 51st book of Tale of Genji, Ukifune, set in Uji, Kyoto, is printed on this cracker.
- Zarame: This square rice cracker is soy sauce flavored and coated in sparkling zarame, a coarse Japanese sugar.
- Tsuzumi: Flavored with beniimo (Okinawan sweet potato), the purple color of this senbei is reminiscent of nobility. It's baked in a round shape to resemble the surface of a tsuzumi drum.
- Nori: This rice cracker is flavored with soy sauce and carefully wrapped by hand in shiny nori seaweed.
- Konbu: This sea-fresh rice cracker is kneaded with chopped konbu (kelp) and flavored with a light, sweet, and fragrant white soy sauce.
- Koganezuki: Seasoned with sweet soy sauce and sprinkled with nori (seaweed) to give it a refined taste, this rice cracker resembles the koganezuki (golden moon).